Namchak is dedicated to sharing one of the oldest forms of Tibetan Buddhist practice and making the teachings newly accessible to Westerners. Students learn from Tibetan masters as well as Western teachers and receive support from a vibrant community. We serve students on every step of the path, from those exploring meditation for the first time to more experienced students. We offer various learning programs, including in-person teaching, small group learning, bi-coastal retreats, online courses, and soon-to-be-established residential retreats at the Namchak Retreat Ranch in Montana. In coming years, we will offer everything from introductory retreats to Dzogchen, the most profound practice in our tradition, and weekend retreat, to the traditional three-year retreat.
Current Employment Opportunities
Seasonal Permaculture Farmhand
The Namchak Retreat Ranch is located near the town of Hot Springs, Montana, on the Flathead Indian Reservation. Currently, under construction, the ranch will host teachers and students coming together for longer retreats, learning, meditation, and practice in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. Namchak also is home to several Permaculture systems and is dedicated to providing healthy organic produce for the guests of Namchak Retreat Ranch in a regenerative way.
Reports to: Permaculture Program Coordinator
Schedule: seasonal May-October
General Position Description:
The Permaculture Farmhand will play a significant support role in the overall farming operation of the Namchak Retreat Ranch. The main goal of this position is to focus on assisting with the general upkeep of the food forest permaculture sites and completing general labor tasks. We are looking for a highly self-motivated individual willing to be flexible in weekly tasks.
Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Assist in all aspects of the permaculture program
- Support the Permaculture Program Coordinator in the implementation of food forest systems
- General weeding and weed control monitoring
- Assist in animal husbandry program
- Install no-till vegetable beds
- Perform pest management tasks
- Compost tea fertilized prep and application
- General mucking out of animal stalls
- Compost collection
- Fence maintenance
- Watering new plantings
- Installation of permaculture designs
- Native and non-native plant propagation
- Seed collection
- Assist in landscape implementation as new buildings are constructed
- Technical Skills – tries to build knowledge and skills continuously.
- Problem-Solving – Identifies and deals with problems in a timely manner.
- Oral Communication – Listens and gets clarification when needed.
- Interpersonal Skills – Remains open to others’ ideas and represents the organization positively within the community.
- Diversity – Shows respect for cultural differences.
- Professionalism – Tactfully approaches others; Reacts well to the pressure of the position.
- Teamwork – Open to others’ views and ideas; Gives and welcomes feedback from fellow co-workers; Contributes to building a positive team environment.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Works with integrity; Keeps commitments; Upholds the organization’s values.
- Quality – Completes work in a timely manner; Works quickly on tasks.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment properly.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, quickly responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary; Takes responsibility for actions; Keeps commitments.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Previous permaculture experience or a willingness to train in permaculture principles/practices
- Knowledge and interest in ecology, permaculture operations, and agricultural processes.
- Basic knowledge of horticulture
- History of being able to work well on a team
- Able to lift 50 – 100 lbs.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent teamwork skill
- Heavy machinery operation (skid steers, excavators, tractors)
- Prior experience with organic farming
- Knowledge of correct pruning methods
- Knowledge of Montana’s invasive weeds
- Landscaping experience